I love Beef Stroganoff, it’s one of my favourite meals.
The problem is, my daughter hates making it… and because she uses a “packet” for the sauce, it’s never really satisfactory. I have far distant memories of making it with real ingredients, and remembering it always being good… the obvious reason I enjoyed it so much, so decided to try and make it again… without a “packet sauce”. *Grin*
I don’t like cooking, it’s probably my least favourite chore, and my photos aren’t that great either… however, this is one of the most delicious I have ever eaten… and prepared. It was really easy, and I took some shortcuts, just time taking to prepare, and since I had help from Jess, it was actually fun too. 🙂
I used Jamie Oliver’s Super Easy Recipe… with the ingredients I had, so more than a little different. *Grin* [ https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/beef-recipes/beef-stroganoff/ ]
Super Easy Beef Stroganoff
by someone who doesn’t like to cook… so you know it’s easy. 🙂
- 1 red onion (we only had a white onion 🙂 )
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 lemon
- 2 handfuls of wild mushrooms (we used ordinary button mushrooms that were on special *Grin*).
- 2-3 sprigs of fresh flat-leaf parsley (it’s winter, the parsley in the garden isn’t really edible aka its dead… so we used special ‘mixed herbs’ that we have… and yes, it’s from a bottle.)
- 500 g fillet steak (not with our budget, *LOL*).
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Olive oil
- 1 knob of unsalted butter (fresh from the local dairy).
- 1 small glass of brandy (definitely not, we made some tasty vegetable stock).
- 50 ml sour cream (we used ordinary cream, also fresh from the dairy).
- Peel and finely chop the onion and garlic, then finely grate the lemon zest. – Done
- Clean and tear the mushrooms. – I have no idea how to tear mushrooms, ours were washed and sliced already.
- Pick and finely chop the parsley. – skipped this step, and just sprinkled our herbs when needed.
- Place the beef between 2 sheets of clingfilm. Bash with a rolling pin until ½ cm thick, then cut into finger-width slices. – Jess found “Beef Goulash Strips” on special for a very reasonable price, so they were already bashed and sliced. *Smile*
- Mix the paprika, lemon zest, and a pinch of sea salt and black pepper together, and use to dust the beef. – done
- In a large frying pan over a medium-low heat, fry the onion and garlic in a little oil until softened. Turn up the heat and add the mushrooms and butter, sautéing until the mushrooms are golden brown, then tip onto a plate. – done
- Add a little oil to the pan and fry the beef for 2 minutes, turning, until browned but still pink inside. Stir in the mushroom-onion mixture, add the brandy stock and reduce for 1 minute or until almost disappeared. – done
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cream and parsley special mixed herbs. – done
Jess made her own version of “Lemon Herb Rice” to complement our meal, and it was ALL absolutely delicious.
Lemon Herb Rice
- 2 cups of rice
- 5 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon of Italian Herbs
- The zest of one lemon
- The juice of half a lemon
Add to a pot and cook until ready, serve when hot and fluffy with the Beef Stroganoff.
And these are my photos, too prove I cooked. *Grin*
When we make this again… we’ll probably double the sauce ingredients, as you need more with the rice, and we’ll make sure we start a little earlier, as the 25 minutes suggested prep time took double that with the photos and needing the rice to cook. We probably should have put the rice on first, as the Stroganoff cooking time is really quick. 🙂
Please join our Women of Worth ~ Wow Recipes Group, and share your recipes and photos. Thanks.